Are you interested in beekeeping? There is a lot to learn about honeybees and it can be overwhelming to know where to start. We believe in building up beekeepers that are responsible, educated, and compassionate. In this hands on beekeeping course, you will have the opportunity to learn from Peter of Toronto Bee Rescue, an urban/commercial beekeeper. Each day you will be working in the bee yard directly with the beekeeper and the bees.
Each course will be broken up into two sessions on two separate days and will take place in person at our farm in Mulmur, Ontario just 10 minutes south of Creemore.
What you will learn:
- Biology of the honeybee
- Queen, drone and worker bee identification and roles
- Parts of a honeybee hive and equipment
- How to handle honey and brood frames
- How to inspect a brood frame
- How to inspect and treat a hive for parasites and disease
- Seasonal honeybee care
- How to setup a bee yard
- Basics of honey harvesting and options
What to bring:
- Bottled water
- Packed lunch
- Notepad for note taking (optional)
- Long, light coloured pants and closed toe shoes (beekeeping veil and jacket will be provided)
Each day our beekeeper Peter will guide you through all of the above and what you can expect in the first year of beekeeping.
Courses must be paid in advance and are non-refundable. Classes may need to be rescheduled due to extreme weather.
There are 12 spots available per session.
Dates & Times:
Saturday April 29 - 10am to 2pm
Saturday May 6 - 10am to 2pm
Sunday April 30 - 10am to 2pm
Sunday May 7 - 10am to 2pm